NJCAA & NOVA Eligibility Requirements
NOVA adheres to the eligibility standards established by the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA).
Prior to participation, each student-athlete must be prepared to submit the following items to the NOVA Athletic Office (or head coach). Please take the time to read and fill out the forms below. It is very important that you read and understand each item. Forms that need to be signed and returned are marked. If you are under 18 years of age, please make sure a parent or legal guardian signs the forms as well. Remember, you can not participate until each item is on file in the Athletic Office.
Each student-athlete must be enrolled in 12 or more credits (full-time status) during the semester of the regular season. If you are not enrolled in 12 or more credits, you are not eligible for participation. Each course in the student-athlete's full-time class schedule (12 credits) must START prior to the end of the regular season.
NOTE: Participation (past and future) may include, but is not limited to, organized practice, structured weight room activities, on the court/field conditioning, individual skill development or other activities as defined by NJCAA.
Required Academic Verification for all participants:
1. A copy of student-athlete's official high school transcript that certifies student has graduated from a standard U.S. high school. Home school students need to contact the athletic office for verification procedures. For GED students a copy of the official results is required.
|** Students who have graduated from a foreign high school or are on an I-20 Visa must do the following:|
|High school transcript MUST be translated to English (if applicable) by a professional translation service and document graduation date. Google Translate is NOT an acceptable interpretation document. * Suggested provider for translation service is World Education Services (www.WES.org)|
2. OFFICIAL college transcripts from any other college(s) attended.
3. A physical examination must be completed on or after July 1 of each academic year. Must be completed by doctor or health care provider certified to perform a health evaluation (i.e. nurse practitioner).
- NOVA Physical Evaluation Form (click link) -THIS FORM IS REQUIRED FOR EVALUATION
4. Complete required NOVA athletic compiance forms.
- NOVA Athletic Eligibility & Compliance Forms (click link) - THIS FORM IS REQUIRED FOR EVALUATION
5. Documentaion of birth will be required for verifcation of Date of Birth (DOB). The documents accepted include passport, visa, birth certificate or other legal documentation (driver's licence or state issued identifcation listing the DOB).
6. Documentation of Academic, Medical, or Certified Learning Disability Hardship approval.
7. Additional documention may be requested to assist in documenting NJCAA eligibility.
8. Please review the complete NJCAA Eligibility Rules Pamphlet (2017-18) for your eligibility status.
Each student-athlete must have a physical evaluation and sign all forms required by the college prior to participating in the first practice.
Additional important information for all participants:
Finally, each student-athlete should be aware that they have a total of four years of eligibility to compete in intercollegiate athletics and playing for NOVA counts as part of your eligibility. Students can only participate in intercollegiate athletics at NOVA/NJCAA level for two years and participation in NJCAA sports is limited to the first two years of participation.
It is the objective of the College that each student-athlete graduate from NOVA with an Associate’s Degree or complete the academic program of choice. If your goal is to transfer and participate in intercollegiate athletics at a four-year college or university, please consult the head coach or athletic director who will be guiding you with that goal in mind. It is NOT our intent to keep students eligible just to play sports.
Please be sure to review the current NCAA Transfer Manual (2017-18) for additional information on transferring to NCAA member college. NAIA colleges have a different set of transfer rules.
If you have any questions about your academic eligibility, please speak with your head coach or athletic director.
For more information, please contact Athletic Director Steve Mrowka at 703.845.6067 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Northern Virginia Community College
4001 Wakefield Chapel Road
Annandale, VA 22003
NOVA Annandale Campus
4001 Wakefield Chapel Road
Annandale, VA 22003