Score: NOVA vs. Prince George's (1-3)
Record: NOVA (4-5-1) Prince George's (10-5-2)
Field: Word of Grace
HERNDON – Evan Kiani scored on a penalty kick to tie the match early, but the Northern Virginia Community College soccer team could not over come a halftime deficit as the Nighthawks were downed 3-1 by Prince George's Thursday afternoon.
NOVA falls to 4-5-1 this season, while the Owls, who are receiving votes in the latest NJCAA poll are now 10-5-2.
How it happened
- At 9:56 PGCC's Temitope Adetunj gave the Owls a 1-0 lead when his shot beat Nighthawks keeper Huber Letona.
- Four minutes later, the Nighthawks were attacking the PGCC defense when they were taken down inside the box.
- Kiani hit the equalizer on the penalty kick for NOVA as his shot went to the lower left 90.
- After the NOVA goal, PGCC was whistled for three offsides, which kept the contest tied.
- However, the Nighthawks defense continued to be tested as PGCC fired three shots before scoring the go-ahead goal in the 18th minute.
- Over the next 10 minutes, the Owls were called offsides six more times before hitting their third goal of the day at 32:41.
- In the second half, Letona made 12 saves to help keep PGCC off the scoreboard.
- On one Owls attack, Letona, who stoned a shot was caught out of position and a NOVA defender stepped between the posts and kicked a shot out of the way.
Outside the box score
- Letona's 13 saves Thursday were the second most in program history. The school record is 15, set by Chris Ludwinski in 2013.
- It was the seventh time this season NOVA has fired off 10 or more shots. The Nighthawks sent 14 towards the net, which were the fourth highest of the year.
- Kiani is the 10th student-athlete to score for the Nighthawks this season. NOVA has 23 goals, which are the second most in school history.
Coming up next
- The Nighthawks continue their homestand Sunday against Cecil in Leesburg at Evergreen Sports Complex. The Seahawks are 0-11-0 this season and play at PGCC Friday.